Dadar has a history of over 100 years. It is the most Busiest Station in Mumbai after Thane. It is headquartered for many years of western railway. Some of the historical and unknown facts about Dadar are.
1 In the 16th century, the area was known as lower Mahim as it was located on the island of Mahim, one of the seven islands of Mumbai which, after Mumbai Island proper, was the most important during the whole of the Portuguese period.
2. The Shree Siddhivinayak Ganapati Mandir is a Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Shri Ganesh. It is located in DADAR, Mumbai. It was originally built by Laxman Vithu and Deubai Patil on 19 November 1801.It is one of the richest temples in Mumbai.
3. The Sharadashram society as well as school built in 1948-50 is the biggest landmarks of Dadar. Sharadashram society is Asia’s first registered society as well as first society in Mumbai.
4. Mumbai’s famous and most selling street foods for many years was invented outside dadar station in 1971 by ashok vaidya.
5. Dadar is also a biggest flower market in Mumbai and 7th largest in India. Best time to visit flower market is early morning at about 9 a.m. its business gets almost closed.
6. Dadar station is one of the busiest stations in Mumbai.It is estimated that the station has more than 5,00,000 visitors daily. This station connects Western railway and Central railway.
7. Shivaji park was created in 1925 by the Bombay Municipal Corporation, during the British Rule. The ground was earlier known as the Mahim Park till 1927
8. In 1993 Bombay bombings, a defused bomb was discovered in Dadar by Dr. JK Mandot who also provided the Mumbai police their first clue in the 1993 blasts
9. Dadar as a neighborhood has undergone tremendous changes. Places like Parsi colony and Hindu colony still retain the old world charm but much has changed over the years – Iranian restaurants have vanished, old traditional buildings have been converted into modern apartments.
10. Dadar railway station is one of the oldest railway stations in Mumbai. It was built in the year 1868. Its Construction was completed in 2.5 years, which was a quick work during that period.
11. Shivaji Park is the largest park in the island city. Like the Azad Maidan and August Kranti Maidan, it is of historical and cultural value because of the political and social gatherings it has witnessed.
12. Dr. Antonio Da Silva High School one of the oldest schools founded in 1851 during the British India period is located in Dadar.
13. Dada Saheb Phalke partly shot his first film “Raja Harischandra” at Mathura Bhavan, in one of his friend’s residence in Dadar East. Apart from this studio, many other prominent film studios such as Ranjit Studios and Rooptara Studios were eventually built in Dadar.
14. Two of the most prominent colleges in Mumbai, Ruia College and Podar College of Commerce and Economics are located near Dadar. Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute is one of the oldest engineering colleges in India and is located in Matunga, adjacent to Dadar.
15. Portuguese Church, is one of the oldest churches in Mumbai Located in Dadar, it was originally built in 1596 by the Portuguese was rebuilt in 1651 and again in 1914.