Mumbai has become a Concrete jungle, There is very few Forest left in Mumbai, And Aarey Colony is one of them after Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
Here are Unknown & Interesting Things about Aarey Colony You Probably Don’t Know.
1. The Aarey Milk Colony (also Aarey Colony) is a neighbourhood situated in Goregaon (East). It was established on 4th March 1951. it Was inaugurated by the then Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
2. The colony was the vision of Mr Dara Khurody, a pioneer of dairy sector who shared the ‘1963 Ramon Magsaysay Award’ with Dr Verghese Kurien for revolutionizing the processing and marketing of milk in Mumbai.
3. A plan was mooted in 2010 to extend the existing Byculla Zoo in South Mumbai by building a zoo with no enclosures on land that would be acquired from both the colony as well as the adjacent Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
4. There is a Garden for locals and the tourist where the visitors can spend a one day picnic with the family in the Garden viewing some Beautiful Birds around the Park. It is also known as Chota kashmir.
5. There is also a lake just opposite to the Chota kashmir garden, where you can spend some time Booting , the visitors can book Row Boat or the Paddle Boat. the timing of boating is Morning 11:00 Am to evening 6:00 Pm.
Also Read:- Area Under British Raj: This Area In India Is Still Under British Raj And We Are Still Paying ‘Lagaan’
6. Goregaon filmcity was built in 1977 by the state government to provide facilities and concessions to the film industry. The plan for Film City was prepared and executed under the guidance of V.Shantaram. It was renamed Dadasaheb Phalke Nagar in 2001 in memory of India’s first producer-director-screenwriter Dadasaheb Phalke, who is considered father of Indian film industry. It has been the shooting location for almost all Bollywood films.
7. There are various Animals in the locality including Leopards, Jumping Spider( Normally Found in Myanmar), spotted deer, rusty-spotted cat, jungle cat, palm civet, small Indian civet, Indian mongoose. That’s The reason Tourists and the locals are Not allowed in Aarey Colony after 7 pm.
8. The clearing of forest land for the construction of a Metro car shed and Maharashtra Motor Vehicle Department’s decision to establish a Regional Transport Office in Aarey are major concerns for environmentalists.